Blog Post 5

1. Explore how you would create a PLN prior to building a podcast on a topic of your choice. Please include an exploration of how would you emulate success stories in this space (podcasts that you’ve listened to or seen become noteworthy), and how would you use your PLN with the intent to expand your audience?

Podcasts have become one of the most common and popular ways to obtain and release content. Podcasts allow you to take part of a community, where you can educate yourself on particular topics and discuss with others who share similar interests and ideas.

The podcasts I listen to the most are crime podcasts based out of Canada. So therefore, if I were to make a podcast I would probably make one based on true crime. Before creating a podcast I think its important to first focus on who your target audience will be, as well as the content you are looking to discuss. Additionally, its important to understand where your audience congregates online and use this information to pick a platform that best matches and will make the biggest impact on your ideal listener.

When trying to decide what makes a good podcast, I began to think of what I like about the podcasts I listen too. One of ways a podcast will capture my interest in when they host guests on their show. It brings a new perspective to the show, offering a new way to connect with the audience. Furthermore, its important to actively engage with your listeners and make meaningful connections to build a positive and informative community. By responding to comments and direct messages from followers you are promoting an interactive and positive space for people to discuss aspects of your podcasts with each other and with yourself.

In order to gain more followers and promote your podcast Mo Amir mentions that its also a good idea to go on other podcasts and social media pages, to introduce yourself to people who may not otherwise have come across your page. To continue, a lot of good podcasts use their personal social media platforms to promote their most interesting moment of each individual podcast as a way of attracting their followers to listen to the entire podcast.

2. Additionally, explore some of the privacy/security concerns to consider when developing an audience on any social media platform? What are the concerns for individuals who become influential in a social space?

There are also many security concerns that develop when forming an audience on a social media platform. For instance, one needs to be careful of the personal information they leek. By including things like your name, birthday, and high school you graduated from on your facebook account, for instance, is allowing your followers the ability to know these private aspects of your life. Those who have become more influential on social media have to be very cautious of the content they share. For example, before they post a picture or video they must first look through the material and make sure it doesn’t have any defining characteristics that could give up where they live. This can include making sure a street sign or address on a package isn’t in view. Putting yourself in a position of influence on a social media platform can be a very vulnerable position, so its important to protect your identity when it comes to personal information.

Miller J. (2020), EDCI 338 A01- Amir, Mo. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyODAhviQyA

4 thoughts on “Blog Post 5

1. Reply
    Jiani Yang - October 25, 2020

Hi mikayla!

It sounds really interesting that you want make a podcast based on crime!
    And I am wondering who your target audience will be ?

1. Reply
      mikaylaolesen - October 27, 2020

Hi Jiani! thanks for replying to my post! i think if i were to make a podcast my target audience would probably be peers around my age (18-22) as I think i would be able to make easier connections with them and therefore, promote my podcast.

2. Reply
    qiamingz - November 5, 2020

Hello Mikayla,

I found your post is very clear and effective. I really liked how you described to make a podcast based on crime! I definitely agree that focusing on your target audience will be important and necessary before making a podcast. In my opinion, this will help you to better know who you will connect with and interact with and who will be interested in your podcast directly. As you mentioned in your post, “actively engaging with your listeners” will be beneficial for you to build a positive community and get more new perspectives. In my opinion, actively engaging with your target audience will also motivate more people to follow you. For the part of privacy and security concerns, I also want to share a web article with you, which introduces some major online privacy issues and the ways to avoid them: https://securitytoday.com/articles/2019/09/03/3-major-internet-privacy-issues-and-how-to-avoid-them.aspx

1. Reply
      mikaylaolesen - November 11, 2020

Hi Qiaming,

Thank you for commenting on my post, I looked at the article you sent me and thought it was very interesting, especially the part on “trackers”! Sometimes when we are on our computers and phones we forget that so many people have access to the information we post, and the information we don’t (like what we search). Its important to learn how to protect ourselves, especially when their are so many people out their who don’t have the best intentions.